Monday, February 18, 2008

Grey amusements

The Yarn Harlot's pal Denny admonishes us never to knit anything colourless or grey in Toronto in March. Well, I'm not in Toronto and it's not March although I did grow up in Toronto and mid February is close enough. Here on the south side of Lake Ontario the weather is equally grey and miserable, now with a stiff wind from the east, now from the west. Now rain, now snow, now ice. I don't think I ever wanted winter to end as much as I do this year. I usually chirp on in an irritating way about how much I love winter right through to Saint Paddy's day. This year, I'm giving up early.

Anyway, here's my contribution to the general greyness. It doesn't have a name yet. It's meant as a smallish blanket or throw to warm the gambs while knitting on the couch.

IMG_1567

I'm having fun making this up as I go along. It started with 9 lines of a pattern jotted down in my notebook - the bottom half of a diamond, as it turned out. I added another 9 lines to complete the top of the diamond and cast on provisionally to knit a border in what are essentially stocking stitch diamonds.

After about 3 inches of this, I began to regret that my decision to purl on the wrong side of my diamonds. Alas,I didn't have the the heart to rip it - you know what mohair can be like - tangle, tangle. And so I decided it was time for a bit of variation in the center - polka dot style holes with center pattern to come.

Materials: I've started with 7 skeins of a Russian yarn, Orlis Alpa Fine grey (50% Alpaca and 50% wool) and 4 skeins of Be Sweet Extra Fine Mohair in dark grey. Let's see how far I'll get.

I can't say enough about this Be Sweet Mohair. It adds warmth and a lovely halo to the fabric and creating more perspective somehow. I will try to take a better close-up.

No comments: