Grey amusements

The Yarn Harlot's pal Denny admonishes us never to knit anything colourless or grey in Toronto in March. Well, I'm not in Toronto and it's not March although I did grow up in Toronto and mid February is close enough. Here on the south side of Lake Ontario the weather is equally grey and miserable, now with a stiff wind from the east, now from the west. Now rain, now snow, now ice. I don't think I ever wanted winter to end as much as I do this year. I usually chirp on in an irritating way about how much I love winter right through to Saint Paddy's day. This year, I'm giving up early.

Anyway, here's my contribution to the general greyness. It doesn't have a name yet. It's meant as a smallish blanket or throw to warm the gambs while knitting on the couch.

IMG_1567

I'm having fun making this up as I go along. It started with 9 lines of a pattern jotted down in my notebook - the bottom half of a diamond, as it turned out. I added another 9 lines to complete the top of the diamond and cast on provisionally to knit a border in what are essentially stocking stitch diamonds.

After about 3 inches of this, I began to regret that my decision to purl on the wrong side of my diamonds. Alas,I didn't have the the heart to rip it - you know what mohair can be like - tangle, tangle. And so I decided it was time for a bit of variation in the center - polka dot style holes with center pattern to come.

Materials: I've started with 7 skeins of a Russian yarn, Orlis Alpa Fine grey (50% Alpaca and 50% wool) and 4 skeins of Be Sweet Extra Fine Mohair in dark grey. Let's see how far I'll get.

I can't say enough about this Be Sweet Mohair. It adds warmth and a lovely halo to the fabric and creating more perspective somehow. I will try to take a better close-up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked

Swatch