Sunday in August

This is about the time when it hits children that the summer is coming to an end and that school is about to start again. It's a special time of year, either sad or happy, depending on how you feel about school. The feeling can last for life, resurfacing each year around this time.

Frankly, I had mixed feelings about school - I cycled between dread and happy anticipation. Come mid August, my garden looks more grey than green to my eyes, a little deflated, but there are still some striking blooms, and there are scads of tomatoes and cucumbers on the vine. Time to make gazpacho.




In knitting, I have been alternating between 2 projects, a second Garter Stitch Catharina and a second Noro Swing Jacket. The GS Catharina is almost finished and looking like it's supposed to look.



















The Noro Swing Jacket has me sweating bullets, however. I can't believe that I've been stitching so mindlessly!

I knit the two fronts and the entire back in the largest size with Noro Retro. It's an Aran weight yarn!! And only now do I look at it and see that it's going to have a finished bust measurement 6 full inches bigger than planned!

Yes I swatched. I thought that if I used a 4.5 mm needle instead of a 5mm, it would cancel out the fact that the yarn is thicker than the one called for in the pattern. Ha ha, yeh, yeh, yeh. That's 2 weeks of lunch time knitting gone to waste. If the yarn weren't so lovely to work with, I think I'd just chuck it and start something else.










Nevermind. The countryside still beckons. Here is Canadice Lake, which the city of Rochester has just sold to New York State. A pristine lake such as this, unembellished by cheek by jowl houses and speed boats is a rare thing here. Let's hope it stays this way.


















Judging by what I've seen on recent walks, there is a bumper crop of mushrooms in the woods for those who care about such things.

Comments

Mary Lou said…
A lake without jet skis is a beautiful thing. So sorry for the Swing Jacket fiasco. My beginning knitting students are always surprised when I bring some work in that requires ripping out.

I still feel like September is the real beginning of the year, and have the urge to go buy pens and notebooks.

Popular posts from this blog

Swatch

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked