NHM # 7

Here is my first pair of stranded mittens: NHM#7 from Terry Shea's book, Selbuvotter. I've done sweater yokes before, but mittens are trickier and I'll tell you why. Maintaining the same tension over both mittens is more difficult than I thought it would be. No, I lie - I didn't even think about it beforehand. It wasn't until I finished the second mitten and put them side by side, that I noticed that the right one was significantly larger than the left. You can see it in the second picture. In addition to the tension issue, I started carrying the yarn differently and I moved from a 2 mm to a 2.5 mm earlier on for the second mitten. That's why the checkboard at the beginning of the cuff is bigger on the right mitten.

In the first picture the mittens are artfully arranged to hide the problem. Frankly, my dear...








































































I was out in Fairport today and discovered a neat little shop called Craft Bits and Pieces, located in the mall above the Fairport Public Library. It's run by entirely by volunteers and sells second hand craft materials of all types, including yarn, needles, patterns, etc. I didn't buy anything; the yarn was all acryllic and the patterns were all from the 1980's, but I think it's the kind of place that may be worth stopping by on a regular basis, early in the day, if you're into it. They might have some good stuff. Maybe. You never know. If you're in the market for different colours of doll's curls - they had plenty today. Also, there's a second hand tool shop around the corner. Must investigate.



























































































Tons of doll hair in little bags, who knew...



!






















I'm working on a baby blanket to be completed by next Thursday and I'm almost finished my second of my January socks. Cheers!

Comments

Mary Lou said…
Doll hair? That seems a bit creepy. Were you having a bad week and tightened up on one of the mittens? As long as they both fit, who cares, I say. I like the idea of a pair of socks every month, but it may be a bit late for me to get one done in January...
Raveller said…
It was the first mitten that was done tighter, and it was when I was sick, but it wasn't too tight. The second one was knit just a bit more loosely. Amazing how it affected the size.

hat doll hair is definitely creepy.
Miss Marty said…
What a wonderful idea!!!! Thanks for letting "us" know.

Popular posts from this blog

Swatch

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked