Slow Going

I've been chugging away at the edging on the pink blanket for more that a week now and I've just reached the half way point. It's a simple edging - Sharon Miller's Traditional Peaked Shawl Edging - but the knitting is very heavy. It makes my hands hurt after a while and it is turning out to be much larger than I thought it would be - it may end up 5 feet by 5 feet. I have come to accept that I won't be able to finish it in time for the christening.































To rest my hands, I have started to work on an edging for the pale green-blue fir cone diamond. I'm using the Doris edging - it's relatively simple and narrow. The whole thing is much lighter and easier to manage. It's whipping along. I should have it finished some time this week and I will post a photo then. It's a birthday present. I've started another fir cone in a dull blue gray Karabella Lace Merino. Can you see it in this bed of Ajuga?
















I have yet to decide what I'll do with this diamond. The garden has been beautiful. Spring started early here. Everything is blooming at the same time and the resulting pollen levels have really knocked me back. I wish I could have gone to Iceland like I did last year. There is hardly any pollen there at all and the two weeks I spent there last April gave me a real boost. Of course now there is all that volcanic ash...I wonder if it is affecting peoples breathing...

Anyway, here are a few garden shots. You can see that my vegetable patch is very modest. It holds rhubarb, a few strawberry plants and chives right now. Later I will add tomatoes and some herbs. I usually get carried away and also try to cram in cucumbers and even lettuces. That reminds me - fingers crossed - I do not seem to be on the breakfast route of the deer this year so maybe we'll actually get to see the blue phlox blooming later on.

















There are 7 lilac bushes between us and the neighbours. The scent is overpowering at times, but they do look lovely. Nearby Highland park has over 500 lilac bushes and the Lilac Festival begins next week. This site explains the history of the local madness for the flowers. More here.























































Comments

Mary Lou said…
I love lilacs. A much nicer thing to have all over your city than tulips, to my mind. Although i might skip attending "a musical narration" of how lilacs came to Rochester, NY. We had a cold snap the past few days, so I hope that helps the lilacs hang around a bit, as they are about a month early here.

Popular posts from this blog

Swatch

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked