On my birthday



















...I went into the sunny garden, barefoot with my shawl and did dirty things with my socks in the name of knitting.

Really, I just put them over the ends of these bench legs so the Diamond Fir Cone wouldn't get messed up while I draped it there for photographs. I was desperately trying to get good pictures of the shadows of the lace.

This small shawl really does want to be a diamond rather than a square. The fir cone motif is 2 holes by 4 holes and so it stretches more in one direction than the other. I have high hopes for a second shawl with the same centre. I'm going to give it a bigger border. This one has a few rows of garter stitch with a row of holes in the middle before geing finished with Sharon Miller's Doris edging. I wanted to keep it fairly small as it is a present for my petite stepmother for her 90th birthday. But this was my birthday so I took it for a whirl.


Slide show here (26 seconds, no music):



Then I came inside, put on my favorite socks and ate cake.

Comments

Mary Lou said…
Fun - looks like a lovely gift. Happy Birthday! I'm off to California to help one of my sisters celebrate a 'big' birthday.
Helen said…
I don't believe it! My birthday's the 19th of May too. I had a nice day, but I didn't take any photographs of knitting or go outdoors in my bare feet. I didn't have cake either, but I did have some tiramisu. Happy Belated Birthday, and I like the shawl diamondways.
shandy said…
Such a lovely gentle green your shawl is. There is something about knitted lace which suggests gardens and foliage.

Popular posts from this blog

Swatch

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked