Home again, home again...

I'd been hoping to post more while I was visiting my Auntie Margaret in and sister Frances, but it wasn't convenient due to dial-up and a wonky modem. Wherever the past two weeks went, they went very quickly. I had a very relaxing time and feel ready to face the world. That might be a dangerous thing to say. Let me take it back!

I split my time away between Northumberland and London. First, let me say the the socks I made for Auntie Margaret and Michael were a big hit. Remember how I knitted in a strand of fine mohair? I finished Michael's the day before I left for London (Thursday) and left them on his chair a bit damp. As we set out for the Alnmouth train station, I noticed that he had them on the dashboard. He had spread them out there to dry with the intention of putting them on later in the afternoon after his golf game, at which point his feet would be cold and wet. Well, he was still wearing them when I returned 5 days later. Hmm. What better compliment could I wish for?

Auntie Margaret reports that she has put her pair through the washing machine with no ill effects. I've started a pair for myself as I still have a good bit of the mohair remaining, pairing itthis time  with Red Heart Heart and Sole sock yarn. It would be nice to get a pair of gloves out of it too. Now I'll shut up about the socks.

Northumberland is an incredibly beautiful place. Like the Canadian Maritimes however, generation after generation has left for economic reasons. People  have mixed feelings about returning, saying it's very bleak, etc. Most families have relatives in Canada, the US or Australia. Those who remain are not unhappy with this state of affairs - the less people, the better, they say. 

















In the Fall, a series of village fairs culminates with the Alwinton Show. This year, it fell on October 11th and as usual featured sheepdog trials, terrier races, wrestling matches, and the like, including an industrial crafts tent where entries are judged. It's kind of like the county fairs in the US, but with less rides. 

Oddly, sheep featured hugely, but no one was selling yarn or fleeces that I could see. If I missed it, it must have been quite a minor endeavour. Here are some pics I took of the entries in the Industrial Arts Tent. Sorry I missed the carved walking sticks. 

May I say that if it weren't for a certain Mrs Marshall, knitting would have been poorly represented indeed.  She won in almost every category. There was only one pair of Gent's Socks entered. Northerners, get knitting!
















I think the tea cosy I knit this summer could have contended with this lot...















Some knitted dolls...

















I like the stitching around the raglan seams on this winning pullover:
















And here are some cute hats...

















The fruit and vegetable creatures are always fun:
















And check out the serious veg...



















































Auntie Margaret and I concentrated on the terrier show and races. Everyone brings their family dog and has a blast. It's a party for terriers, really. Here is our Fudge prematurely trying to snatch the fox tail on her way to the starting line:
















Fudge won her first race but then got off to a bad start in the final. She is getting older and will soon be joining these retirees on the sidelines:















Here's a photo of the course itself, with the pups leaping over the barrier.
















I don't know about you, but I'm going to get back to my knitting now....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Swatch

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked

In the Vortex: yes we can!