Not all is grey

Our long greyness has begun. We only see the sun for a few minutes in the morning before it disappears behind the cloud. As the sun came up the other day I was thinking about a mitten I would call "Rochester Sunrise." It would be all grey and soft like a cloud, except for the wrist which would be shades of yellow crescents soon to disappear inside the cuffs of the wearer's jacket.

Here is what we saw on our drive to Ottawa over the weekend. I love the part of New York state north of Syracuse, along Black Lake. It's depressed but moody and beautiful.








This is a picture of the only piece of knitting I have finished in the past month, apart from a little scarf. These are my sister's xmas socks but I gave them to her early. The yarn is Nashua Handknits Best Foot Forward.



And here's what I'm excited about now. This is a swatch in the Fleurette Stitch from Walker's 4th Treasury. Some of you may remember that I made a little cardigan with this as an all-over stitch a few years ago. While in the Ottawa area this weekend, I dropped in on Kathryn Dryden's studio in Wakefield (above the Tulipe Noire). Kat has been hand dying Amtex yarn for a while now and I can't say enough about her colours, not to mention the beautiful quality of the yarn itself. Kat is also a painter so of course she has great colour sense.

Luckily she was in and I we were able to have a chat. I purchased three skeins of this gorgeous fingering weight merino. Think Tosh Merino Light in Koigu colours. The colour changes are fairly short, which is good because you don't get enormous pools of a single colour. It's hard to get a good picture because of the subtle colour changes of this yarn. This photo is a bit too orangey, but you get the idea.


So, my idea is to knit a top down raglan with a solid yoke and a Fleurette bottom. We'll see if I do it. I'm moving slowly these days. Cheers!

Comments

Kathryn said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathryn said…
Can't wait tot see the finished project! It was lovely to see you.

Kat
Mary Lou said…
I remember driving to Ottawa through that part of upstate and thinking how depressed it was. That was 30 years ago, sorry it is still that way. Love the sock and the idea for the sweater. My nephew picked out some yarn for socks because he loved the colors then was horrified to find out it made stripes. I have to look for the Koigu style sock yarn I guess. Short repeats as you show with your yarn. Hope you had a good Thanksgiving.
fleegle said…
Those socks are lovely. And not rayon :)

Popular posts from this blog

Karabella Lace fir cone shawl center, blocked

Swatch